Thursday, January 31, 2013

Back to Basics?

Guess what we learned today? We learned how to use a computer. Yep! You read that correctly...a computer! My intention for the lesson centered around applying their knowledge of literary devices. After learning and exploring examples,  I planned an amazing two-day adventure so my beloved students could "show what they know." Of course, a few of the stations had to have a technology component. As horrible as it sounds, I really had not had my students produce a product in Word. I know, I know!!!!! At planning time I had not realized this flaw, but it taught me quite a lot!

And so Monday arrived, we were working like a well oiled machine. It was as if my classroom was THE model for a self-directed classroom. On the Danielson Rubric, I would definitely receive a score of 4. Then it happened in a domino effect, students began asking questions about setting up their document. I was baffled! I wanted to display their beautiful work in the hallway.They all received the specifications and direction for the product. It was a simple sentence with simple instructions: landscape, centered, any font that is bigger than 16, check spelling, and print.

This confusion and tutoring lasted the entire class period and into the next. I began to fear for hours three and four. Suddenly the issue became very apparent. These Digital Natives have had no general need for a laptop and desktop computer. Everything they may possibly need has been on a handheld device. There doesn't need to be center justification in a text message. It truly made me pause for a moment and take in the idea of it all. Technology had become so advanced in my world that it is almost mind blowing, but not for our students.

I found Ashleigh and told her my observation. She immediately knew what issues I was having. She had experienced the same issues with her own students, using PowerPoint. After we both confirmed that we weren't alone,she and I did what had to be done. I went into that room and taught the basics of producing a Word document. To some of my sweeties, it was a refresher. Yet to others, it was a brand new ball game. All in all, something techie was accomplished that day, although it wasn't what I had planned.  But, days like these teach me things.

It should be quite interesting to see what their future will hold. What will be necessary and what becomes obsolete?


No comments:

Post a Comment