Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thanks Ellen DeGeneres


So I have been spending quite a bit of time on the couch. More than I wish to be, but it has been necessary and required. I had me a little surgery last Wednesday which limits me for the next few weeks. A great deal of the time has been spent sleeping. When I am not sleeping, I have so many things to do.... NOT! Let's see.. I read, I check email, I respond to my wonderful friends via text, I read some more, and I indulge in the entertainment that is day time television.

I am so very embarrassed to admit that I am a horrible creature of habit. For five days a week of nine months of my life, I am dictated by a schedule. Of course that dictation has bled into my summer of recovery. I discovered I have developed a television watching schedule. Shamefully, I must start my day with People's Court. It then leads to one of my most favorite people in the entire world.... ELLEN DEGENERES! I love her humor, her love of life , and her generosity. She's a Louisiana girl!!!! What's not to love?

OK... so I digress! I was watching Ellen during one of my wakeful moments. At that time, she was playing a game called Heads Up. She has played the game thousands of times, but this time I saw her playing the game on a tablet!!!! I was so very excited. They made an APP.... oh my goodness.... an APP!

The techie teacher that I am immediately began thinking of ways to use the app in my classroom. How cool could it be to have my students develop ways to express themselves verbally and using description to play. I grabbed my iPad to look for the app. I have to admit it was a little difficult to find the app at first. The key to finding the app is placing an exclamation mark at the end Heads Up or go to Ellen's website.


With the app, there are 18 themes, "decks", to choose from. It even records the person who is giving the clues. It's a $0.99 app, but I think it can be well worth it. I haven't gotten my family involved in testing it yet.... YET!!!! But I can not wait to try it.

Just goes to show you, you can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can NEVER take the classroom out of the teacher. That's just what we do... finding the fun for the fundamentals of learning. It just doesn't stop.

APPy Summer my teacher friends



No comments:

Post a Comment