Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thanks to 2012


As we approach 2013, I am anticipating great things to come in Ed Tech. We are on the edge of reaching the digital native like never before. With that in mind, I thought we could reminisce about some truly great technology that the year 2012 gave us. We may not have recognized the true convenience and ease 2012 brought to us.





1. Choices:
2012 exploded with a more diverse range of tablets with the Kindle HD, Nook HD, & even a smaller version of the iPad. All in all, tablets have become less expensive which has allowed the technology to reach a wider market which makes me wonder how many of my students received some type of tablet during the holiday season. 

2. Laptops on a Diet:
As I shopped for my oldest son, I noticed these machines are thinner, stronger, and more affordable. Ultra books are "the new girl in town". They make the laptop I am currently working on look like it's time for the retirement home.  

3. Any Time, Any Where, Any Device:
Everything you need to stay in touch with the world around fits in your pocket. Unless by choice, a person no longer needs to be anchored to a desk or couch to get your latest television show or to finish that report.

4. Everything is in the CLOUD:
The days of lost data or damaged hardware are becoming an issue of the past. Apps such as Dropbox, SugarSync, Google Drive, and many more are the norm. More and more teachers are reaching a paperless classroom with these apps as they use them as a means of assessment, project based learning, and collaboration.




Whatever you resolve for the New Year, I hope you find some new type of technology to embrace in 2013. There is so much out there that can be overwhelming.  But, MAN, it can be so exciting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment