Saturday, January 19, 2013

Math Board ... So Worth the Money




Math Board
Cost: $4.99
Format: iPad






I stumbled upon this app a few years ago after an in depth search for a FREE app that provides a little more than just your basic practice of facts. I have to admit I was a little reluctant to purchase the app. Let's face it! Teachers become overwhelmingly giddy with that word letter word. My thoughts immediately began a list of everything that $5.00 can buy for my classroom. However, I hushed the demons within, read the stellar reviews, and went for it.  I have to say that I am so very happy I did. It has been amazing for my struggling students.

The app provides so much variety. You are able to set the number of questions, the operations that need practice, number ranges, and even the equation type. The app allows you to track your students. It is as simple as adding students. You then have the ability to return to each of their sessions. It has been remarkable for my 5th graders. They love to compete against their percentage and time. I love the "what happen" discussions when I look back at the problems a student might have missed. Those moments are precious to a math teacher. It's a tremendous help in student understanding of the concept.


I love the chalkboard design and the problem solving area on the screen. My students love the different chalk colors!


Students receive instant feedback both during and after the practice.


This app has so much more; from math tables to activities that help you stretch the thinking of your high ability darlings. It even has a problem solver that can show your students step-by-step instructions on how to solve those pesky ones they always groan about.

PalaSoftware also has recently provided an iBook User Manual filled with valuable tutorials.


So the next time you have $5.00 to spare, give this app a chance! You will be so glad you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment